H54F {edition 5}

1. Reading: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I loved both Gone Girl and Dark Places, so I decided it was time to try her first book of the series. It's taking me a little while to get into it, but I'm not sure if that's the book's fault or my own (probably the latter). I've been assured that it is her best one, so I'm very excited to get into it.
 
yes that's my bike in the background. hooray for bike-able weather! 

2. Listening: (Other than the theme song to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt pretty much on repeat in my head)

Last Monday I went to a singing session at a local pub. Despite everyone being a bit nervous at first, it turned into a really good night. Most people played guitar or ukulele and sang a few tunes. Since I have no instrumental abilities, I waited until I had a few pints in me and then forced others to let me tag along in their songs. It. Felt. Good. Although there isn't a singing session on this week because of St. Patrick's Day, I'd like to prepare something for next week. If anyone has some a cappella suggestions, let me know! For now I'm thinking maybe some First Aid Kit? We saw them live late last year and they were amazing. I admire those girls so much!



3. Watching: I've made my way through Parks & Recreation and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (loved both so much.) But this Buzzfeed post took me right back to my favourite show. Also, it made me realise that Parenthood's Amber and Arrested Development's Bland Egg Ann are one in the same. Mind blown.



 4. Planning: On this side of the pond, Mother's Day is on Sunday. It took us by surprise last year (mostly me because I had no idea they were on different days) but not this time! I've got a nice little gift planned for R's mom (from the boys, of course). He's one of five boys and rarely has she ever actually got a gift on Mother's Day so I feel it's time to change that, especially considering she generously allowed us to stay in her house for far too long over 4 months so we could stay in Belfast after the lease on our last apartment ended.

When it comes to gift giving, I don't think extravagance is necessary. However, I like giving more small gifts instead of one big thing. I heard a saying related to children's gifts and I think it's pretty much spot on for all gift giving.

Something they want, something they need
Something to wear, something to read

So how about a bottle of wine and some special mother's day cookies (want), a phone case (need), a gift certificate for a spa treatment of some sort-- pedi, mani, blow-dry? whatever they'll actually use (wear), and a book they've been wanting or even just a heartfelt message in a card (read). Then you're staying away from the cheesy 'mothers day' labelled things, and giving them a variety. How can you go wrong?

5. Feeling: Pretty excited that spring has sprung. Even on the rainy days we’ve had some sunshine. I’ve really needed that Vitamin D as of late, and the tennis rackets left for us by our landlord so we can make use of the courts here as well as weekend jaunts along the coast have made for a happy girl!




Linking up this week with: Oh, Hey Friday!High Five for Friday!, and 5 On Friday

No comments :

Post a Comment